Achelatis

Παραδοσιακές τουριστικές επιπλωμένες κατοικίες

Location

In Peloponnese there are 118 traditional settlements, 98 of which are located in Mani. One of these traditional settlements of Mani is Areopolis, a village of the west side of Mani, belonging to the Prefecture of Lakonia, Peloponnese. Until 1836 the initial name of Areopolis was Tsimova and following a decree issued by Othon was renamed in Areopolis in order to praise the virtue in the war of the local people, namely Maniates.

This historic settlement maintained its freedom during the occupation by the Turks and constitutes the mother country of Mavromihalis Family. It is the centre of Municipality of Oitylo and has been characterized as restored, maintaining the traditional style of Mani. Areopolis is built on a high land, above the natural and spatial port of Limeni, which constitutes its “epineio”, port. The area produces excellent olive oil, few wheat and significant animal farming. It is the mother country of Mavromihalis Family, while at Limeni it is maintained the old tower of this family.

Areopolis played an important role during the War of Independence. When someone sees, above the stone walls and the narrow streets of Areopolis, its towers, the names of which constitute the seal of some very famous families of the village and the whole history, becomes an eye-witness of the glorious local history. In this village there were formed the first armed groups who later rose the National Uprising on March 17, 1821. Areopolis Flag white with national symbols on it and it is nowadays exposed in the National Historical Museum of Athens.

The oldest part of the settlement extends to the west side. It is densely built, with narrow streets, maintaining its historical traditional style. Among the distinctive average houses of Mani and the simple old towers, there lie eminent domiciles of influential families of the period before and after the revolution, which combine the character of a fortress with their magnificence.

Gradually, Areopolis became an active market, significant for the whole area of Mani: public services, schools, health centre, bank and other facilities, offering to Areopolis a wider character. Hotels, guest houses, restaurants, shops are among the modern facilities offered to the visitors. The square of Athanaton (the Immortals), where there is the statue of Petrobeis Mavromihalis, nowadays concentrates all the interest as well as the city’s traffic.

The wider area is full of signs and testimonies of archaeological and paleoanthropological interest. Numerous caves of the area have been explored, at least externally, and considerable findings have been discovered. Among the most famous archaeological sites of the area is the cave “Apidima”.

Η δράση συγχρηματοδοτήθηκε από το Ευρωπαϊκό Γεωργικό Ταμείο Αγροτικής Ανάπτυξης & το Υπουργείο Αγροτικής Ανάπτυξης & Τροφίμων στα πλαίσια του Άξονα 3 του Προγράμματος Αγροτικής Ανάπτυξης της Ελλάδος 2007-2013